Web development is a broad term for the work involved in developing a web site for the Internet (World Wide Web) or an intranet (a private network). Web development can range from developing the simplest static single page of plain text to the most complex web-based internet applications, electronic businesses, and social network services.1
Table of contents
- Front-End Web Frameworks
- Back-End Web Frameworks
- Web Servers
- Web Applications
- Related Topics
- A Basic Understanding of Networking - Internet Protocol Suite
- Understand How HTTP Works - Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Learn To Work in Unix Shells
- Learn To Use Git
- Learn To Use Browser Developer Tools - Chrome DevTools
- Learn to Comment Your Code Properly
- w3 - Web Design and Applications involve the standards for building and Rendering Web pages, including HTML, CSS, SVG, device APIs, and other technologies for Web Applications (“WebApps”). This section also includes information on how to make pages accessible to people with disabilities (WCAG), to internationalize them, and make them work on mobile devices.
- Google HTML/CSS Style Guide - This document defines formatting and style rules for HTML and CSS. It aims at improving collaboration, code quality, and enabling supporting infrastructure. It applies to raw, working files that use HTML and CSS, including GSS files. Tools are free to obfuscate, minify, and compile as long as the general code quality is maintained.
- HTML5 (and Some CSS) Best Practice - These tips are meant for beginners and those who wish to freshen up on HTML best practices. I tried to list here many things that, although simple, make a huge difference on code readability. Hopefully everyone who reads this will be able to learn something new. Enjoy!
- HTTP Security Best Practice
- HTML5 Style Guide and Coding Conventions - Web developers are often uncertain about the coding style and syntax to use in HTML. Between 2000 and 2010, many web developers converted from HTML to XHTML. With XHTML, developers were forced to write valid and "well-formed" code. HTML5 is a bit more sloppy when it comes to code validation.
- Information Architecture (IA) is the art of expressing a model or concept of information used in activities that require explicit details of complex systems. Among these activities are library systems, Content Management Systems, web development, user interactions, database development, programming, technical writing, enterprise architecture, and critical system software design. Information architecture has somewhat different meanings in these different branches of IS or IT architecture. Most definitions have common qualities: a structural design of shared environments, methods of organizing and labeling websites, intranets, and online communities, and ways of bringing the principles of design and architecture to the digital landscape.2
- Model-View-Controller - The MVC paradigm is a way of breaking an application, or even just a piece of an application's interface, into three parts: the model, the view, and the controller.
- Learn to Code HTML & CSS
- Introduction to HTML
- Must-Have Social Meta Tags for Twitter, Google+, Facebook and More
HTML5 is a core technology markup language of the Internet used for structuring and presenting content for the World Wide Web. It is the fifth revision of the HTML standard (created in 1990 and standardized as HTML 4 as of 1997) and, as of December 2012, is a candidate recommendation of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Its core aims have been to improve the language with support for the latest multimedia while keeping it easily readable by humans and consistently understood by computers and devices (web browsers, parsers, etc.). HTML5 is intended to subsume not only HTML 4, but also XHTML 1 and DOM Level 2 HTML.3
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the look and formatting of a document written in a markup language. While most often used to style web pages and user interfaces written in HTML and XHTML, the language can be applied to any kind of XML document, including plain XML, SVG and XUL. CSS is a cornerstone specification of the web and almost all web pages use CSS style sheets to describe their presentation.4
Grid Design A typographic grid is a two-dimensional structure made up of a series of intersecting vertical and horizontal axes used to structure content. The grid serves as an armature on which a designer can organize text and images in a rational, easy to absorb manner.6
- 65 Resources for Grid-Based Design
- Design Grids for Web Pages
- Grid-based Layout
- Visual Design
- Setting Type on the Web to a Baseline Grid
Responsive Web Design (RWD) is a web design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience—easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices (from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors).7
Responsive design in a nutshell8
The basic idea of responsive web design is that a website should "respond" to the device it's being viewed on. In broad terms, this can mean things like:
- Adapting the layout to suit different screen sizes, from widescreen desktops to tiny phones
- Resizing images to suit the screen resolution
- Serving up lower-bandwidth images to mobile devices
- Simplifying page elements for mobile use
- Hiding non-essential elements on smaller screens
- Providing larger, finger-friendly links and buttons for mobile users, and
- Detecting and responding to mobile features such as geolocation and device orientation.
Slim is a PHP micro framework that helps you quickly write simple yet powerful web applications and APIs. At its core, Slim is a dispatcher that receives an HTTP request, invokes an appropriate callback routine, and returns an HTTP response..12
Laravel is a free, open-source PHP web framework, created by Taylor Otwell and intended for the development of web applications following the model–view–controller (MVC) architectural pattern. Some of the features of Laravel are a modular packaging system with a dedicated dependency manager, different ways for accessing relational databases, utilities that aid in application deployment and maintenance, and its orientation toward syntactic sugar.13
Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. Built by experienced developers, it takes care of much of the hassle of Web development, so you can focus on writing your app without needing to reinvent the wheel. It’s free and open source.15
The Apache HTTP Server, colloquially called Apache, is the world's most widely used web server software. Originally based on the NCSA HTTPd server, development of Apache began in early 1995 after work on the NCSA code stalled. Apache played a key role in the initial growth of the World Wide Web, quickly overtaking NCSA HTTPd as the dominant HTTP server, and has remained the most popular HTTP server since April 1996. In 2009, it became the first web server software to serve more than 100 million websites.18
A wiki is a website on which users collaboratively modify content and structure directly from the web browser. In a typical wiki, text is written using a simplified markup language and often edited with the help of a rich-text editor.19
Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware or simply Tiki, originally known as TikiWiki, is a free and open source Wiki-based content management system and online office suite written primarily in PHP and distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) license. In addition to enabling websites and portals on the internet and on intranets and extranets, Tiki contains a number of collaboration features allowing it to operate as a Geospatial Content Management System (GeoCMS) and Groupware web application.20
- Setup Tiki Wiki Groupware CMS on Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10 / 18.04 with Nginx, MariaDB and PHP 7.1 Support
- Nginx SEO-friendly URLs
E-commerce is the activity of buying or selling of products on online services or over the Internet. Electronic commerce draws on technologies such as mobile commerce, electronic funds transfer, supply chain management, Internet marketing, online transaction processing, electronic data interchange (EDI), inventory management systems, and automated data collection systems.21
- What is E-Commerce?
- Intro to E-Commerce and PCI Compliance
- Creating an E-Commerce Site? Consider PCI Early.
A content management system (CMS) manages the creation and modification of digital content. It typically supports multiple users in a collaborative environment.23
October is a free, open-source, self-hosted CMS platform based on the Laravel PHP Framework
Founded in 2007, Weebly is a complete platform that allows anyone to start and grow an online business with curated website templates, powerful ecommerce and integrated marketing. More than 40 million entrepreneurs around the world use Weebly to grow their customer base, fuel sales and market their idea. Designed for any entrepreneur who wants to reach a global audience, Weebly gives everyone the freedom to create a high quality site and store that works brilliantly across any device. Weebly offers a range of pricing options, including free and premium consumer plans, as well as enterprise offerings and is consistently the highest rated website building mobile app in the App Store and Google Play. Weebly is based in San Francisco and its investors include Sequoia Capital, Tencent Holdings, Baseline Ventures, Floodgate, Felicis, Ron Conway and Y Combinator.26
Laravel. (2017, August 22). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved
16:51, August 25, 2017, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Laravel&oldid=796663322