Software development is the process of computer programming, documenting, testing, and bug fixing involved in creating and maintaining applications and frameworks resulting in a software product. Software development is a process of writing and maintaining the source code, but in a broader sense, it includes all that is involved between the conception of the desired software through to the final manifestation of the software, sometimes in a planned and structured process.Therefore, software development may include research, new development, prototyping, modification, reuse, re-engineering, maintenance, or any other activities that result in software products.1
Programming - the act or process of planning or writing a program.2
...the main activity you think of when you think about creating software is probably the activity the researchers refer to as “construction.”3
...construction is mostly coding and debugging but also involves detailed design, construction planning, unit testing, integration, integration testing, and other activities...4
Construction is also sometimes known as “coding” or “programming.” “Coding” isn’t really the best word because it implies the mechanical translation of a preexisting design into a computer language; construction is not at all mechanical and involves substantial creativity and judgment.5
- Software construction is the central activity in software development; construction is the only activity that’s guaranteed to happen on every project.
- The main activities in construction are detailed design, coding, debugging, integration, and developer testing (unit testing and integration testing).
- Other common terms for construction are “coding” and “programming.”
- The quality of the construction substantially affects the quality of the software.
- In the final analysis, your understanding of how to do construction determines how good a programmer you are...