Rasmus Lerdorf (born 22 November 1968) is a Danish-Canadian programmer. He created the PHP scripting language, authoring the first two versions of the language and participated in the development of later versions led by a group of developers including Jim Winstead (who later created blo.gs), Stig Bakken, Shane Caraveo, Andi Gutmans, and Zeev Suraski. He continues to contribute to the project.
PHP, which stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" is a widely-used Open Source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. Its syntax draws upon C, Java, and Perl, and is easy to learn. The main goal of the language is to allow web developers to write dynamically generated web pages quickly, but you can do much more with PHP. 1
PHP is an Object-Oriented Programming Language.
Released: November 30, 2017
End of Support: November 30, 2020
- New object type hinting
- Parameter type widening
- Abstract method overriding
- Trailing comma in list syntax
- New Sodium extension
Released: December 6, 2018
End of Support: December 6, 2021
- Multibyte string functions
- Argon2 password hash enhancements
- More flexible heredoc and nowdoc syntaxes
Released: November 28, 2019
End of Support: November 28, 2022
- Arrow functions for cleaner one-liner functions
- Preloading to improve performance
- Support for typed properties
- Custom object serialization
- Unpacking inside arrays
- Weak references
- Improved type variance
Released: November 26, 2020
End of Suppprt: November 26, 2023
- PHP Development Environment : Modern PHP Development Environment
- PHP Logging and Error Tracking : Many PHP logging libraries offer the most common functionality that any application might nee
- PHP Security and Static Code Analysis : PHP Security and Static Code Analysis
- Swift Mailer : Swift Mailer integrates into any web app written in PHP, offering a flexible and elegant object-oriented approach to sending emails with a multitude of features.
- Twig Template Engine : Twig is a modern template engine for PHP
- AWS SDK for PHP : The AWS SDK for PHP enables developers to build solutions for Amazon Web Services
- Laravel : Laravel is a free, open-source PHP web framework.
- Laravel Unit Testing : Laravel is built with testing in mind.
- Omnipay for Laravel - laravel-omnipay : Omnipay ServiceProvider for Laravel
- Winter CMS 1.1.x : Winter is a Content Management System (CMS) and web platform whose sole purpose is to make your development workflow simple again.
- October CMS 1.0.x : October CMS is a free, open-source, self-hosted CMS platform based on the Laravel PHP Framework.
- CodeIgniter : CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a minimal footprint, built for developers who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.
- CodeIgniter Configuration : CodeIgniter The Config class provides a means to retrieve configuration preferences.
- CodeIgniter Migrations : CodeIgniter Migrations are a convenient way for you to alter your database in a structured and organized manner.
- CodeIgniter 3.x Unit Testing : PHPUnit with CodeIgniter
- CodeIgniter 4.x Unit Testing : CodeIgniter 4 uses PHPUnit as the basis for all of its testing.
- Lumen - PHP : The stunningly fast micro-framework by Laravel.
- PHP Manual - This manual consists primarily of a function reference, but also contains a language reference, explanations of some of PHP's major features, and other supplemental information.
- PHP The Right Way - There’s a lot of outdated information on the Web that leads new PHP users astray, propagating bad practices and insecure code. PHP: The Right Way is an easy-to-read, quick reference for PHP popular coding standards, links to authoritative tutorials around the Web and what the contributors consider to be best practices at the present time.
- 10 tools for Modern PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor Development - A simple list of tools for modern PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor development. There are alternatives to most of the tools, but I'll list native PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor tools wherever possible.
- The Joel Test: 12 Steps to Better Code
- 30+ PHP Best Practices for Beginners
- Managing LAMP environments with Chef, Vagrant, and EC2 - The series covers using Chef to provision a development environment on a virtual machine with Vagrant and VirtualBox, and a production environment in the cloud with Amazon EC2.
- Model View Controller(MVC) in PHP - The model view controller pattern is the most used pattern for today’s world web applications. It has been used for the first time in Smalltalk and then adopted and popularized by Java. At present there are more than a dozen PHP web frameworks based on MVC pattern.
Modern PHP: New Features and Good Practices - PHP is experiencing a renaissance, though it may be difficult to tell with all of the outdated PHP tutorials online. With this practical guide, you'll learn how PHP has become a full-featured, mature language with object-orientation, namespaces, and a growing collection of reusable component libraries.|
Author Josh Lockhart - creator of PHP The Right Way, a popular initiative to encourage PHP best practices--reveals these new language features in action. You'll learn best practices for application architecture and planning, databases, security, testing, debugging, and deployment. If you have a basic understanding of PHP and want to bolster your skills, this is your book.
PHP Web Services: APIs for the Modern Web - Whether you’re sharing data between two internal systems or building an API so users can access their data, this practical book provides everything you need to build web service APIs with PHP. Author Lorna Jane Mitchell uses code samples, real-world examples, and advice based on her extensive experience to guide you through the process - from the underlying theory to methods for making your service robust.|
PHP is ideally suited for both consuming and creating web services. You’ll learn how to use this language with JSON, XML, and other web service technologies.
Learning PHP Design Patterns - Build server-side applications more efficiently—and improve your PHP programming skills in the process—by learning how to use design patterns in your code. This book shows you how to apply several object-oriented patterns through simple examples, and demonstrates many of them in full-fledged working applications.|
Learn how these reusable patterns help you solve complex problems, organize object-oriented code, and revise a big project by only changing small parts. With Learning PHP Design Patterns, you’ll learn how to adopt a more sophisticated programming style and dramatically reduce development time.
|Programming PHP - This updated edition teaches everything you need to know to create effective web applications with the latest features in PHP 5.x. You'll start with the big picture and then dive into language syntax, programming techniques, and other details, using examples that illustrate both correct usage and common idioms.|
PHP 7 Tutorial - Installing and Running PHP
PHP in 2018 by the Creator of PHP
Extremely Defensive PHP - Marco Pivetta
Rasmus Lerdorf - Deploying PHP 7